Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

pressured sex and HIV
Feb 16, 2004

dear bob,

I'm sorry to keep On e-mailing you, but I really need help. I'm a female who was sexually assaulted, and I'm terrified about HIV. What happened was this guy did unprotected oral sex on me against my will. I didn't see any blood in his mouth, but I didn't get to thoroghly examine it, either. I also got some of his semen on my index finger, but I wiped it off on his shirt, then, approximately 4 seconds later, I touched my labia minora with that finger that once had semen on it. I had no cuts on that finger, nor on any fingers, but I didn't get to see exactly how much semen I'd wiped off, although I'm sure most of it was gone. He also fingered me, and pinned me down and french-kissed me.I've heard HIV lasts for quite a while outside the body, and I'm afraid I'm infected, and that I will test positive. I'm very upset, and I'd really, REALLY appreciate it if you can respond to me. I'm not a person who messes around, and this guy did it against my will, and HIV will be my punishment. What's my risk for HIV from that whole experience? I've tested negative for Gonorrhea, chlamydia, and syphilis at 27 days after this incident, and I've had the 3 shots of my hepatitis B vaccine before this happened. Oh, the guy didn't have any sores or blisters on his mouth, either. Please tell me about my HIV risk. Thank you.

PS: You're a great guy, and I wish you love, peace, and happiness. God bless you and Steve. Please give Steve my regards.

Sincerely, terrified female

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Terrified Female,

Questions about possible HIV transmission need to be sent to the Safe Sex/HIV Prevention Forum, not here (Fatigue/Anemia Forum). Consequently, I'll only answer very briefly, and refer you to the other forum for further information, or if you have additional questions.

HIV does not last for "quite a while outside the body." In fact, it doesn't survive outside the body very long at all! Your risk of acquiring HIV from the activity you describe, including receiving oral sex, is extremely, extremely low. If you decide to get HIV tested, wait for three months after the event to make sure your result is definitive. However, based on what you told me, I see no reason for excessive worry or concern.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
going for the immunologist for the tiebreaker.
Next
fatigue from time to time

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.