Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Scared Sh*tless

Hi Dr. Bob:

I am sorta new to being with men (just coming out to friends). I have had a number of discreet encounters - a few mutual masturbation - given head 3 times (never to fruition - no semen in mouth) and have performed insertive anal sex 3 times and receptive once (all with condoms).

my question is i have had a sensitive feeling in my groin since about 3 weeks after the receptive anal sex. the gland in my groin does not seem hugely swollen but it is more sensitive (although not painful) and a bit more enlarged than the gland on the other side of my groin. its been this way for about 2 months... accompanying this sensitive gland 3 weeks after the receptive anal sex was a sorta "blah feeling" - chills one night that never materialized into a flu, short periods of time where i felt like i might have a fever (took temperature all the time - sometimes would be as high as 99.7). but i never had a full day where i felt like sh*t and had to stay in bed.

am i just blowing this out of proportion? i dont understand why my groin gland remains somewhat more sensitive than the other side - although again, not painful and not visibly any different.

please respond - i plan on making a donation. i am freaking out.

thanks a million - you do a saint's work. so, i guess you are a saint.

Hello Scared Sh*tless,

Your HIV risk is essentially nonexistent. A groin gland on one side, which is "somewhat more sensitive than the other side although not painful and not visibly any different" is not at all indicative or suggestive of HIV. Although I certainly can't diagnose a problem over the Internet, I doubt your gland is a significant problem. If you are concerned, have your doctor check it out. You certainly have no reason to be scared sh*tless or otherwise as far as HIV is concerned.

Check around on this site and related links to learn more about HIV symptoms, staying safe, what to do in case you do have a significant exposure (PEP).

Thank you for your donation. It will help The Foundation in its mission to provide crucial services to men, women, and children living with HIV, and to raise awareness of the HIV/AIDS epidemic through education and advocacy.

Stay well. I support your decision to come out and stay safe.

PLEASE ANSWER-LEAVING FOR BAGHDAD ON SUNDAY-PLEASE
PCR Test Negative at 3 Months - Maybe Woo-hoo???