Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Repeatedly checking lymph glands
Feb 11, 2004

Dear Dr. Bob,

First of all let me add my thanks to all of the others for your time and energy in answering questions on this site. Your insight, compassion, and humour is a beacon for all those looking for help when they are as worried as I am.

I stupidly and foolishly had unprotected sex with a sex worker after drinking one night about 7 weeks ago.I though I was the only one dumb enough to have doen soemthing like that, but your site has shown me, there are others that have made ther same mistake.

My question is this: can you cause your lymph glands to become swollen and painful from constant checking. My glands in my neck seemed to be normal when I started checking, but I became so fearful I started checking them 20 times a day. Afer a few days they became swollen, and I could actually feel them without touching them. I have gotten tested and I am waiting for my results. My guess is, there are many others out there like me who are checking their lymph glands relentlessly, just as I have.

I will be sending you a dontation. I can't begin to tell you how worthwhile your time and answers are.

Thanks!

Another WW

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Another WW,

Relentlessly checking your lymph glands 20 times a day??? Oucha-ma-goucha! No wonder they are getting sore. If you poke and prod anything that often, it's going to get swollen and sore. (Well, O.K., almost anything.) All I can say is you are probably lucky you fixated on your neck lymph glands rather than the ones in your groin. Because, if you had been checking those 20 times a day, the police would have probably arrested you by now for lewd and lascivious behavior.

O.K., now take your hands off your neck. Think of something more worthwhile to do with them. Consider taking up the piano or maybe knit a sweater for my pooch. Anything!

Good luck on your tests. Remember you'll need a three-month test for a definitive result, but the odds are all in your favor.

Thank you for your donation. Making a donation to help others less fortunate than you is an excellent use for those busy fingers. And, it also racks up some wonderful cosmic karma with the higher powers, which would definitely prefer altruism to self-inflicted injury.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
HEY BOBBY!!!! WOOOOF******HOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Next
Earliest HIV Test While Under PEP

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.