Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Relief from worries
Feb 8, 2004

Hi Dr. Bob, First let me say you are able to convey great bedside manner even over the internet!

This is more of a post to enlighten some of your worried readers. I see them going through great anxieties about HIV just like I have in the past. Many of their fears are completely irrational and nothing anyone can tell them will make them see otherwise. I know from personal experience that this can ruin peoples lives and end up controling them.

After going through numerous episodes where I thought I had been infected with HIV, my family doctor suggested that this was probably more of a mental problem. She suggested I seek help and boy do I feel better now!

People should know that its not AIDS they're fearing but rather the paralyzing anxiety which is the result of any number of other things (including but not limited to chemical imbalances). I am not trying to minimize the impact of HIV on our lives, the disease has changed the way we all look at sex. It's just so sad to see so much needless suffering from people who have no idea that their fears are irrational.

As for me, I was diagnosed with OCD and acute anxiety. I am currently taking medicaltion which is helping me get over THIS condition. I hope someone will read this and see that perhaps the problem is not physical but rather, mental.

Thanks for posting this Dr. Bob and keep up the good work. You've helped sooth many of our worries!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Gosh, the last time I read anything about a "great bedside manner over the Internet" was in a cybersex ad! Thanks for writing in and sharing your story. I, too, find it "sad to see so much needless suffering from people who have no idea that their fears are irrational." Let's hope they find their way back to good health, both mental and physical, just as you have done.

Stay well!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Sleepful in Texas
Next
Dois-je continuer de me tester ?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.