Relief from worries

Hi Dr. Bob, First let me say you are able to convey great bedside manner even over the internet!

This is more of a post to enlighten some of your worried readers. I see them going through great anxieties about HIV just like I have in the past. Many of their fears are completely irrational and nothing anyone can tell them will make them see otherwise. I know from personal experience that this can ruin peoples lives and end up controling them.

After going through numerous episodes where I thought I had been infected with HIV, my family doctor suggested that this was probably more of a mental problem. She suggested I seek help and boy do I feel better now!

People should know that its not AIDS they're fearing but rather the paralyzing anxiety which is the result of any number of other things (including but not limited to chemical imbalances). I am not trying to minimize the impact of HIV on our lives, the disease has changed the way we all look at sex. It's just so sad to see so much needless suffering from people who have no idea that their fears are irrational.

As for me, I was diagnosed with OCD and acute anxiety. I am currently taking medicaltion which is helping me get over THIS condition. I hope someone will read this and see that perhaps the problem is not physical but rather, mental.

Thanks for posting this Dr. Bob and keep up the good work. You've helped sooth many of our worries!

Gosh, the last time I read anything about a "great bedside manner over the Internet" was in a cybersex ad! Thanks for writing in and sharing your story. I, too, find it "sad to see so much needless suffering from people who have no idea that their fears are irrational." Let's hope they find their way back to good health, both mental and physical, just as you have done.

Stay well!

Sleepful in Texas
Dois-je continuer de me tester ?