Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hahaha i'm not infected!
Feb 6, 2004

I had receptive anal intercourse with a known HIV positive man and I didn't get infected! I just had my 2 month EIA test!!! I guess all my symptoms were just in my head! Who says you can't walk on the wild side and still be ok?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Well, there are over 45 million people presently infected, 40,000 new infections are expected in the U.S. this year, and 18,000 new infections occur per day worldwide. Walking on the wild side like playing Russian Roulette is risky business. I must also point out that your two-month EIA is not conclusive or definitive. If you had unprotected receptive anal intercourse with a partner who is confirmed to be HIV-positive, this constitutes a significant exposure (highest risk). The CDC recommends testing out to six months in these situations. I certainly hope all your symptoms were "just in your head," but we won't know that for another four months. We certainly all wish you luck. I should point out no one has claimed, "you can't walk on the wild side and still be O.K." However, everyone says, "you can't walk on the wild side (unprotected sex) without significant risk." Is this a risk you are willing to take?

Dr. Bob

Previous
My husband, son and I have proudly mad a donation to your cause
Next
Lesbians and HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.