Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

BOB symptoms don't come in 2-4 weeks after - no HIV
Jan 29, 2004

Dear BOB,

I want you to be straight forward with me, if my "symptoms" came a day or 2, or even three days after my infection, this means that I do not have HIV no matter how many symptoms I have.

Please answer you are the friggen best.

Salud my little Italian tomato!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Three quick points here:

1. "Symptoms," no matter when they come or what they are, do not equal disease. If you've placed yourself at risk for HIV, a three-month HIV test is what you need to definitively say you either have or have not contracted the virus.

2. ARS (acute retroviral syndrome) symptoms generally take weeks to become manifest. "Symptoms" several days after a potential exposure would not be related to HIV-ARS. Please note symptoms of HIV seroconversion can range form severe to so mild that they are essentially unnoticeable.

3. I would prefer to be a spicy meatball.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
the unluckiest guy in the world
Next
Condoms and Spermicides

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.