Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Yet another worried guy

Hi Dr Bob, Im in the military and currently deployed in the deserts of southwest asia. I had protected sex (vaginal and oral) with a sex worker before getting deployed (31 Oct - Happy Halloween) and as you guessed, have been fighting the HIV demon (self diagnosis based on "symptoms") eversince. I tested negative at 42 days using Discreet and tried the Home Access test at 60 days. Unfortunately, because of my current location, the blood sample did not arrive within the specified window. My question are as follows: Should I even be worried at all? What other testing alternatives to I have? I have a 1 day layover in Baltimore on my way back from deployment - is there a test I can take that can be done within one day?. One last question: Are you listed on the Combined Federal Campaign? You provide a desperately needed service and I would like to have the opportunity to contribute. Thanks!

The reason to have "protected" sex is to prevent worry! If the latex condom was used properly and did not break, you have nothing to worry about. HIV cannot pass through latex. It really is that simple. For a gazillion testimonials that reveal why "self diagnosis based on symptoms" is a really, really bad idea, just browse through the extensive archives on this forum.

Should you desire to get tested during your one day in Baltimore (Baltimore???? ), there are two FDA-approved rapid tests: OraQuick and SUDS. The OraQuick results are available in 20 minutes. I guess the reasons they give you that day in Baltimore is to make the deserts of Southwestern Asia seem more appealing, right?

Regarding your question about the Combined Federal Campaign, I'm not sure what that is. My foundation does provide crucial services to men, women, and children living with HIV/AIDS around the world. Donation information can be found at The Foundation's website at www.concertedeffort.org.

Thanks
Results back!!!