Gay boy in Rural Maine needs answer!

Dr. Bob I had unprotected anal sex as a top on several occasions with my (at the time) boyfriend. I thought it was cool because we live in rural Maine and, of course, "Aids doesnt exist here". 3 months after we broke up he became extremely ill, lost weight, and was diagnosed with Mono even though his mono-spot was negative (as was his HIV test during this bout with 'mono'). A year later he was re-tested for HIV and received a positive result which was confirmed in subsequent DNA testing.

I was tested in Sept which was 16 months from my last exposure and was negative. My concern is that his first test was negative, and I dont know which test was used on me (I didnt realize there was more than one strain of HIV). Is my 16 month window ok for all strains of HIV even though I dont know which for strains I was tested? And was his 'mono' sero-conversion?

Thank you for your unbelievable site. Please give some big-city answers so I can sleep at night!

Sincerely, I-ski-naked

Yes, it is possible your boyfriend was still in his seroconversion phase at the time of his "mono," and that would account for his negative mono test, as well as his initial negative HIV test and subsequent positive result. Of course, there may also have been other exposures during the year between tests. However, no matter what transpired with him, if you tested negative 16 months after your last exposure, you have nothing to worry about. Your test is definitive. You are HIV-negative.

Please spread the word in rural Maine that HIV is not only a big city dweller.

Now, I want to hear more about your "I-ski-naked" sign-off. Do you have pictures?

Stay well.

Un bonjour du Quebec
Thanks