people are talking about you at Johns Hopkins web site

Dear Doc, have you seen what people are writing about you on Johns Hopkins aids site. I hope you will respond officially to them and Doc Gallant

ciao

an italian fan of yours

Hi Italian Fan,

Someone sent me the Jan. 17 posting (below). Dr. Gallant's remarks seem right on target to me.

The questioner's distorted (and inaccurate) comments, bizarre skepticism, and pathological preoccupation merely reflect the profound nature of his deep-seated psychopathology. In other words, the guy's a wing nut.

Veracity and scientific fact will trump paranoid delusions every time. Let's hope that guy finds his way to a psychiatrist's couch in the near future.

I don't buy Dr. Frascino's By Joel E. Gallant, M.D., M.P.H. (17-Jan-2004)

Dr Frascino of thebody.com claims he was exposed to HIV by a needle stick injury. Look man, I'm no bigot, but of the dozen or so specialists on thebody.com, the two gay men are both HIV positive (Frascino and Shernoff). Of these two, one claims to be infected from very odd circumstances. Sorry but in this day and age, with all the precautions taken in an HIV environment, like an infectious disease specialist's office, I'm supposed to believe a large dose of HIV infected fluid found its way into the blood of an intelligent doctor who happened to be doing a procedure that one of his assistants was supposed to be doing anyway? Further, this is an extremely high percentage of HIV infection via occupational exposure in a such a small pool of HIV infected gay doctors: 50 percent! I don't know about you, but I say Dr. Frascino is just adding to the deception and denial associated with HIV in America today. On top of this, he is the guy most often criticizing those who focus harder on gay HIV than hetero HIV (in the context of safe sex practices). I think this guy is just such a hypocrite, it's not even believable.

Dr. Gallant's response:

I don't know anything about Dr. Frascino, but I do know that gay men make up a disporportionate share of the doctors and other health care professionals who care for HIV-infected people, and in doing so, put themselves at some risk of occupational exposure. I personally know of more than one gay man who was infected in this way, with clear-cut documentation of occupational transmission. As a gay physician who's cared for HIV-infected patients since the beginning of the epidemic, I resent the idea that were to I to become infected from a needle stick (and I've had them, I can assure you), I would be blamed by people like you for lying about my exposure to cover up irresponsbile sexual behavior. To say that the only way a gay man can be infected is through sex with other men is homophobic, and minimizes the hard work and sacrifice that they have contributed to the AIDS epidemic since the beginning. Moreover, Dr. Frascino's contributing something...what are YOU doing???

Mind your own business, and find a more worthwhile outlet for your anger.

Mrs.
Disturbing Information