No answer due to fear of creating hysteria?

Hi Dr. Bob, I will post my question once again...not that I expect it to be answered. I know you get thousands of emails a day. I see no postings similar to this one or I wouldn't bother you. I do all in my power to live as safely as possible. Don't smoke, drink or do drugs. I've been in a monogamous relationship for 12 years. I am well aware of the modes of transmission but I have a situation that may be remote but not impossible. This has kicked my OCD into overdrive.

Well..here goes my question: I work in an office with a gay guy (I know this doesn't mean he is positive) but 2 months ago he had a cold sore on his lip and it was bleeding. I didn't realize this until he approached my desk to ask me a question when I looked up I noticed the blood and tried to avoid eye contact with him. My fear is that during conversation that a tiny speck of his blood off his lip may have gone in my eye. How can someone who plays it so safe be placed in a predicament like this? In your opinion, does it warrant testing? If so, would a 3 month test be conclusive?

I contacted the CDC who told me that they have no documented cases HIV being contracted this way but they did say it was theoretically possible. This goes against the casual contact statement.

If all goes well....I guess I'll have to start wearing glasses. I think Howard Hughes was on to something. Bubble living might not be so bad.

Best to you in 2004.

Worry Wart

Hello Worry Wart,

Bubble living? Nah. I like bubble baths, bubble gum, bubble wrap, and bubbly (champagne), but bubble living? No. No. No.

The CDC was correct in stating there are no cases of HIV being contracted this way. The "theoretical" risk would be so minimal as to essentially be nonexistent, and the CDC should have told you that as well.

Your OCD overdrive needs to be downshifted a few gears.

I see absolutely no cause for concern, HIV testing, or "bubblelizing" yourself. I do think you need to contact your therapist regarding your irrational fears and your OOC-OCD. (Out Of Control OCD)

WHY WON'T YOU ANSWER MY QUESTION!!!!!
Pussy Sniffer asks for WOOHOO permission again in another case