Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Re-infection?
Jan 22, 2004

Hi, Dr. Frascino. Have a question for you...

For the past few years, I was gambling more and more on the fact that my sole sexual activity -- insertive anal intercourse -- was lower risk than receptive anal intercourse. I started using condoms less and less. Obviously, I gambled and lost. After almost twenty years of regular biannual HIV testing, I tested positive last November.

Now I'm faced with trying to figure out how to live my life, sexually speaking, from this point forward. And I'm realizing there's no shortage of poz bottoms out there who want to have unsafe sex with poz tops like me. Their POV seems to be that they've already gotten it, so why not live life the way they want to?

On one hand, I find this outlook very tempting and would love to continue to have the kind of sex that feels most natural and satisfying to me, but on the other hand I want to do everything I can to minimize my future health risks and maximize the time I have left.

There seems to be a lot of debate going on about re-infection and super-infection, and I'm interested in your take on the subject.

Thanks, D

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi D,

Re-infection and super-infection have now both been well documented. The question remains as to how often this occurs. However, now knowing that it does actually occur and can be easily prevented, are you willing to take the risk? I'm certainly not. You are living proof that tops can become infected. So if a positive bottom has a very aggressive, highly resistant strain of the virus, the consequences of your acquiring that strain can be catastrophic. Only you can decide what level of risk you are willing to take. All I can do is let you know the risk is real, very significant, and potentially devastating. Check the archives for additional details about re-infection and super-infection.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Bob is the role model
Next
HELP, is what I need at the moment!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.