How many people?

Dr Bob please tell me how many people have this disease? As an expert on this, how many people do you believe will die or contract HIV before a cure or better treatment is found? I never see an ad on TV about this, I never hear about it on the radio or see an ad in any magazine. Why not? Education and prevention efforts seem to be slipping. The next generation will be hit hard if more is not done, do you agree with this? I believe you are a good man and you help many people. My donation is on the way. Say hi to Steve for me. Take Care

Brad from Southern Illinois

Hi Brad,

Current estimates are that there are 40-45 million people currently infected with the virus. How many will contract HIV before a cure depends on how we as a civilization respond to this crisis. For instance, presently we are spending billions of dollars on war, while not treating over 95 percent of the world's population infected with this virus. And that is despite the fact that affordable, life-saving medications are available! How man people could die? Some predictions indicate a quarter of the world's current population. That you don't see ads on TV (or radio, or magazines) is related to the fact that our current conservative, puritanical government feels it's not appropriate. Hell, they won't even let Kami, the HIV-positive Muppet, on the airways in this country!! Why not? Ignorance, fear, and apathy would be my top three reasons. Education and prevention efforts are woefully inadequate and getting worse with the current right-wing "Christian" influence in our government. What a tragedy and un-Christ-like attitude this really is! Yes, the next generation will not only be paying for our burgeoning budget deficits, but also paying a terrible cost in human lives and nearly unimaginable suffering due to the global HIV pandemic.

Together our concerted efforts can and will make a difference.

Steve and I, along with the folks whose lives will be touched by your compassion and generosity, send our heartfelt thanks.

What do you mean with "not a significant risk"?
Family Man Again