Worried Well In the Window

Hello Dr. Bob and everyone else. Here is my story. I had unprotected sex with a woman about 9 weeks ago. After freaking out for the past 6 weeks about HIV and how I have screwed up I came to a moment of clarity and relized it was time to move on. I was sick of feeling bad and looking at the past. My advice to everyone out there in the window period is to let it go. I know exactly how you feel and how tought each day can be because there is this cloud hanging over your conscious in everything you do. But I also have realized that if anything this type ordeal can show you the beauty in life. Focus on living not dying.

Of course I hope that my test does not come back positive, but that is not what is important right now. What is important is to recognize that we all have the choice to either focus on the joys or the perils in our lives. I do not know about everyone else but I have lived too long in the shadows of self-doubt and the possibilities of bad events occuring.

I will be getting tested in mid-Febuary. Until then I know that the cloud will pop in and out of my mind. But dammit I am not going live like I did during my 5 weeks of anxiety and depression no matter what the result is! This is one worried well in the window that is making the choice to be happy.

Dr. Bob - throughout this whole ordeal you along with some of my friends have been the inspiration behind "letting go" of this baggage and choosing to live. For that I thank you.

Excellent advice. The concept that we should all be focusing on "the joys rather than the perils" of our lives seems intuitive, but in reality is very, very difficult. The past is the past. Time only moves in one direction. Keep one foot planted in the realities of today and point your other foot toward and optimistic tomorrow. We can and must learn from past mistakes. What we must not do is be paralyzed by past events over which we now have absolutely no control.

Your philosophy on life is right on target.

Good luck on your upcoming tests. Whatever the results, your well-adjusted attitude will ensure a bright future.

HIV test anxiety
Please please re: Immunoglobulin M deficiency