Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

massage and rude cdc
Jan 16, 2004

This probably sounds very silly but it is causing me a lot of anxiety. I recently went to an erotic massage parlor where the woman giving the massage let me rub the outside of her vagina with my fingers. She was not very wet but it was moist. I had a cut between my thumb and index finger with a scab that was in the process of forming so the wound was not completey covered. I was careful not to let that part of my hand touch her vagina and just use my fingertips. When we were finished I got dressed and my fingers were dry but unwashed. However I went to wash my hands and forgot about the cut. My question is could I have gotten infected (if she even is hiv+)while washing my hands when soap or water that touched my fingertips got brushed over the cut while I was rubbing my hands together? I'm sure I put the soap on my fingers first then it probably got rubbed over the cut. I'm going to hazard a guess that my risk is either very low or non-existant since I understand the virus dies quickly and it had been 5-10 min since I had touched her. I called the CDC but they were very rude and the woman accused me of having asked her the same question before. I never asked them this question before and I never spoke to this woman ever in my life. I will never call the CDC ever again. I can't beleive that they would treat worried people in such a cold manner. Isn't it their job as an AIDS hotline to answer questions like this? They never even gave me an answer other then hiv is not spread through casual contact. I don't think touching someones vagina is akin to shaking their hand. But hey maybe i'm wrong.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

You hazarded a guess and you guessed your hazard! Yep-- Nonexistent! That's correct. Your risk of HIV transmission from this episode is exactly zero zip, zilch, nada, nyet, absolutely none!

I don't know what to say about the rude CDC lady. I certainly won't make excuses for her rude behavior, and yes, answering questions is supposed to be her job. Maybe she was "seasonal help," like the stoned, highly pierced and inked twink at Tower Records I interacted with earlier today. He couldn't process the return of a CD, despite having the sales slip and gift receipt. He eventually told me to come back in a few hours. I don't think he or that CDC lady have found their calling for a fulfilling occupation just yet.

As for touching someone's vagina being akin to shaking their hand, well it is true that HIV is generally not spread by simple touch of the entrance to the love canal, but it's also true it's not the same thing as a handshake either. For instance, it wouldn't go over well at the office cocktail party when you're first introduced to the boss's trophy wife to grab her snatch rather than her hand.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Bob, please help a pal in need
Next
POSITIVE ATTITUDE Thanks to you Dr. Bob

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.