Dr. Bob- The Kidney Donor

Dr. Bob,

First let me wish you a Happy and healthy 2004. Your a wonderful caring man.

I am not sure you remember but back in August you replied to my post. I am the guy who will soon be donating his kidney to his sister.

At the time I was having extreme anxiety of possible HIV exposure. I took an ELIZA test at 3 months and it was negative. I also took one at 6 months and still negative. That was back in October.

Just over the last few weeks I have been experiencing severe folliculitis and now a burning rash in the anal area.

I have to be honest and say I am still very scared that this is HIV related.

My anxiety has only become worst due to fact they keep pushing out the kidney transplant. Which is great news for my sister. And that I am happy for.

I have read that 5 may not show antibodies till later than 6 months. So now I questions am I part of this percentage.

I know in my heart that my anxiety is fueling my fears and I am seeking help for that.

But at this time I need your advice. These rashes are scaring the heck out of me. Compounded by the fact my wife get a cold sore at the same time.

Your comments and advice mean a great deal to me.

What should I do? More testing?

Thank you for your kindness and understanding.

Hello Kidney Donor,

If you are having difficultly with folliculitis and a burning rash in the anal area, you need to see a dermatologist, not to get more HIV testing!

That you are "still very scared this is HIV related" and that you "know in your heart that anxiety is fueling your fears," is really at the core of your problem. Don't only "seek" help for this problem, but get help for it. And don't delay.

Your negative three and six-month ELISA tests are conclusive: HIV is not your problem. Irrational fear and anxiety are! Stop testing. Stop procrastinating. And get the help you need. Bring copies of your questions and my replies to your counseling sessions. They will help your therapist focus in on your problems more quickly. Feel better. I'm sure you will.

CD4, CD8, CD4/CD8 ratio
Are symptoms consistent in transmitter and reciever?