Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. Bob, I Would Love to Shake Your Hand
Jan 13, 2004

Dr. Frascino,

I think that you are a truly extraordinary man. I have the utmost admiration and respect for you and your work. I would love to shake your hand.

First of all, I would like to say that anxiety is very personal and not very rational at all. Everyone has a valid concern, and would just feel better if theirs is answered directly. So the critics out there should lay off.

Now to my problem. Recently I had sex with a prostitute (I am not going to say that I was stupid and will never do this again, because I have done ti before). I was a little worried afterword because there was a moderate amount of blood on the condom. But semen filled the reservoir, and upon cursory inspection, the condom seemed intact. However, upon careful later inspection of myself, I notice a couple of tiny flakes of what appeared to be dried blood on my shaft near the head. This has caused me to completely flip out. I guess I would like to know if logically (taken anxiety out of the equation) if I require testing.

I am completely and utterly terrified. I feel like the anxiety itself is killing me. I've worried before, but the utter panic is unbearable. I would really appreciate a response. Thank you for everything.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Do I think there is significant risk of HIV transmission from protected insertive sex when the condom did not fail and subsequently "a couple of tiny flakes of what appeared to be dried blood on my shaft . . ." were noticed? No, I wouldn't consider that a significant HIV risk. That said, should you get tested? Well, only you can decide that. I can only advise you if there is a significant risk involved. In your case, no, I don't see a significant risk. But if you're worried, get tested. It may well be the quickest route back from being "utterly terrified." I'd also suggest you consider some therapy for your "utter panic" and "anxiety."

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Accuracy of 4-Month HIV-Antibody Test
Next
Home Access Test Accuracy @ 13 weeks

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.