The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Bob Bob Bob - Bob Bob-arino!

Jan 13, 2004

hey dr. bob. i'm poz 4 years now, living with the family - an excellent support group, they are (i'm very lucky). i had a cmv infection that resurfaces sometimes. recently, my uncle hiv negative - who lives with us - developed a clogged ear, and subsequently, lost some ability to hear out of that ear when the clogging subsided. that happened a few months ago. now, this past week, the same thing is happening with his other ear. he fears he will again lose a little bit of hearing sensitivity just like with the first ear. is it possible that he has caught my cmv? can cmv damage nerves in the ear? need i stay away from other elderly family members, as their immune systems aren't capable of warding off my cmv shedding?

Response from Dr. Frascino


You are indeed very thoughtful to be considering the health of others while dealing with the challenges of HIV yourself. Fortunately, your concerns are unwarranted. Your CMV is not the cause of your uncle's clogged ears or hearing problems. No, you do not need to stay away from elderly family members. Talk to your HIV specialist about your CMV. He should be able to further reassure you about the details of your specific situation.

Now, go give that old uncle a big hug. He probably wonders why you've been so standoffish lately.

Happy New Year! Stay well.

Dr. Bob

RE: Thank you...and Please answer...I am gonna die...
Please answer Doc i got all of the symptoms

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint