Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RE: Thank you...and Please answer...I am gonna die...
Jan 13, 2004

Hey Dr. Rob, I am a great fan of yours. The work that you are doing are encourging those who are in need of support, and eliminating unrealistic fears of many of us. For that I am thankful, and I am about to send lots of donation to your foundation.

I know you are extremely busy, but I have 2 questions. This is my 3rd email to you.

1) Several Months ago, I went to a lounge. I had several drinks enough to get me plastered. I was surrounded by my friends, and fell asleep for 15 minutes or so. I am worried that, what if someone had pricked me with a needle, and that I have been infected with HIV? Would you warrant a test in this senerio?

2) I was eating dinner the other day with my friends, and while I was waiting outside, some man walked by me. When I got in the car I noticed 2 pimple like things on my right shoulder and one of the pimple gave be a stinging pain. I didn't find any needles or anything like that. But I am scared that, what if that person pricked me, but I didn't notice it, but the tip of the needle broke off and jabbed into my shoulder and felt the pain several minutes later? I am now convinced that I have got the disease. Would you warrant a HIV test? My friends and family have told me that what I need is a psychiatric help instead.

What do you think???

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I think your friends and family are absolutely correct. I'll prove it to you in a little experiment for each of your scenarios, OK?

1. Let's you and I go to a lounge and have several drinks. I'll wait for you to fall asleep and then I'll take out a needle and jab you. I'm willing to bet you'll wake up madder than a hornet!

2. Next, I'll take a needle broken off at the tip and jab it into your shoulder and let's see if it takes you "several minutes" to feel the pain.

Why do you think so many people are chasing you with HIV-infected needles? That's completely irrational.

Bottom line: Do you need an HIV test? Absolutely not. Do you need a shrink for your HIV phobia and irrational fears? Absolutely yes!

Thanks for the "lots of donation!" We'll use it for our HIV/AIDS education and awareness programs. Hopefully by educating more and more people about the realities of the virus, the irrational fears, and phobias will decrease.

Feel better. I wish you a much less worry-filled New Year.

Dr. Bob

Previous
CRAZY NIGHT IN SUB-SAHARA AFRICA! (OF ALL PLACES)
Next
Bob Bob Bob - Bob Bob-arino!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.