Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hiv spread through toothbrush?
Jan 13, 2004

I just recently used a toothbrush that wasn't mine. I thought it was before because it look almost exactly like mine except for the very small difference in color. I found out it belongs to someone who is a possible HIV risk. I found the toothbrush in my vehicle, it had been sitting there for about a day. And when I found it, I washed it off with anti-bacterial soap and just cold water 3 times to make sure it was clean of dirt or anything else. Does this mean that I'm completely safe from risk?

Response from Dr. Frascino

You "found the toothbrush in your vehicle?" I certainly hope you weren't trying to brush while driving.

OK, on to your specific question. HIV doesn't survive very long at all outside the body. Consequently, finding a stray toothbrush (I'm still wondering how it got in your car) and then washing it with antibacterial soap and rinsing three times with cold water does indeed mean you are completely safe from any HIV transmission risk.

Dr. Bob

Previous
for venezuela with a lot of stress
Next
As an HIV educator I should know better.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.