Do I need to Start Post Exposure Prophylaxis?

I had a nude massage from a sex worker including my fingering her and manual release. She had touched herself and used saliva to lubricate her hand to masturbate me. I have herpes and I've had flulike symptoms for the past couple of days since the encounter. I've had a fever, tingling in the extremities, flushed skin, headache, sleeplessness and disassociation. I have never felt similar symptoms in my life. I know that saliva is considered relatively safe, but I'd hate to be the exception to the rule. Do you think I should begin Post Exposure Prophylaxis for HIV? Or do you think that my symptoms my indicate some other infection? Thank you for your time and response.

PEP for a slippery spit hand job? No, of course not. The "E" in PEP stands for "exposure," and to even consider PEP, the exposure has to be very significant. Yours certainly was not. Your symptoms "for the past couple of days since the encounter" are quite classic for stress and anxiety not HIV. I've pointed out frequently in this forum that HIV ARS symptoms do not appear days after an exposure, but rather weeks! Are you the exception to the rule? No, you are quite classic for the rule -- sex, followed by guilt/worry/stress and anxiety followed by stress and anxiety symptoms. If you're concerned about specific symptoms, see your doctor. However, I'm willing to bet anxiety is at the root of your problems.

Happy Holidays
Confused re HIV 1 AND HIV 2 ?