Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I get HIV this way?
Dec 31, 2003

I recenlty visted a Naturopathic doctor. He tested my blood type.

He did this by pricking my finger with a sterile lancet (I saw him remove the top)and I squeezed out a couple drops of blood. The doctor then placed a couple drops of a yellow liquid from a dropper and a couple of drops of a blue liquipd from a dropper on to a glass slide in 2 separate areas. I saw both bottles containing these liquids they were both open and about half full.

I then touched the liquids with my finger to get some blood mixed in to each liquid.

My question is could I get HIV or Hep from doing this? That is, my finger had the small poke in it and was bleeding and I touched my blood into these 2 liquids on the glass slide.

I am wondering cause I don't know if the glass slide was sterile or what exaclty was in the liquids I touched bleeding finger too.

Please advise.

Thanks Sean

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Sean,

My advice is to stay away from "doctors" who haven't been to medical school. What was this guy testing for and why? Your HIV/hepatitis risk is essentially nonexistent. So are your chances of getting useful help from most of these practitioners but that's just my personal opinion.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
1 more month? or WOO HOO!
Next
Physician to Physician

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.