Wrote Before But No Answer. Please answer so I'll have a good holiday season

Hi Dr. Bob,

I wrote you a few days ago but never got an answer back. I was just hoping you can help me with my dilemma. I've read a few similar case in this forum, however I want a definite answer for my situation.

Sometime in the last quarter of 2002, I hooked up with this guy I met on the internet chatroom. We've pretty much done everything. I gave him an oral, rimmed him, we kissed, and we had protected anal sex, me being the top. I havent seen him after that.

I usually get tested every 3 months but I havent done it lately due to busy schedule. My last HIV test was in May 2003, which is like more than 6 months since I've hooked up with that guy. My result was negative.

Then sometime ago, I happen to see the guy in the chatroom again and he confessed that he got tested sometime in May also and he is positive. He admitted too that its been 2 years since he was last tested before this recent one. So the doctor adviced him to get a hold of all those he had slept with for the past 2 years and I happen to be one of them.

My questions:

1. What is my risk of being infected since Ive done oral sex, kissing, and rimming with this guy? And although we've used condom and I was the top, the thought of me having sex with a poz guy makes me feel that I might have gotten it too.

2. Do I need to get tested again even if my result last May 2003 was negative? (knowing that May 2003 is more than 6 months already since Ive met him)

3. How definite is the 3-months or 6-months window period before you get tested? Is it possible for HIV to show up longer than 6 months?

HELP HELP HELP!!

Thanks, Jay

Hello Jay,

You've read similar cases, and now you'll receive a similar response. Your negative test at six months after a possible exposure is definitive. Yell, "WOO-HOO," and in the future, assume all sex partners are potentially HIV-positive. Take the appropriate precautions to avoid unnecessary subsequent worry. It really is that easy.

Happy Holidays.

Repeated exposure to HIV and still test negative?
viral load vs. antibody tests