Dr. Bob, It's Foofie again

Dear Dr. Bob, I was hoping that if I got a response from you it would be filled with the gentle wit and sound medical advice you give everyone else. Instead, you called my incidents "far fetched" and dismissed my symptoms. So maybe what happened to me was far fetched, but I didn't imagine feeling pricks in my arm and leg. But you simply said my symptoms were a cold. What cold has chills and a fever? That's more like a flu. Look, everyone else writes in here with irrational fears of hiv. Why are mine any less valid than theirs? I mean people say "My hooker's uncle's next door neighbor looked at me. Do I have aids? I went in the ocean...what if someone before me peed in it and the pee had blood in it and it got in my urethra and gave me aids?" And people write in who have had a sexual or occupational exposure too, and obviously those are way more serious concerns than mine. But the point is that why did I get treated with disregard, when people write in with far more ludicrous exposure stories than mine? And if I had insurance, I would get some help, but I don't, so I can't at this point in time. At some point in life, everyone has an hiv scare. Whether the concern has real ground or not is another matter, it's still a scary thing. I guess I'll just have to wait for my test results. -Foof

Hey Foof,

Welcome back to The Forum. If it will help matters any, please consider your risk to be similar or perhaps even less than the guy who went in the ocean and was concerned someone previously had peed in it. OK? Stories "far more ludicrous" than yours are actually quite rare. Try not to be scared. I don't even feel HIV testing is warranted in your case.

Do send us a Foofie-WOO-HOO when you get your results, OK?

Shingles and Negative?
Recomendations for Safety