Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. Bob, It's Foofie again
Dec 31, 2003

Dear Dr. Bob, I was hoping that if I got a response from you it would be filled with the gentle wit and sound medical advice you give everyone else. Instead, you called my incidents "far fetched" and dismissed my symptoms. So maybe what happened to me was far fetched, but I didn't imagine feeling pricks in my arm and leg. But you simply said my symptoms were a cold. What cold has chills and a fever? That's more like a flu. Look, everyone else writes in here with irrational fears of hiv. Why are mine any less valid than theirs? I mean people say "My hooker's uncle's next door neighbor looked at me. Do I have aids? I went in the ocean...what if someone before me peed in it and the pee had blood in it and it got in my urethra and gave me aids?" And people write in who have had a sexual or occupational exposure too, and obviously those are way more serious concerns than mine. But the point is that why did I get treated with disregard, when people write in with far more ludicrous exposure stories than mine? And if I had insurance, I would get some help, but I don't, so I can't at this point in time. At some point in life, everyone has an hiv scare. Whether the concern has real ground or not is another matter, it's still a scary thing. I guess I'll just have to wait for my test results. -Foof

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Foof,

Welcome back to The Forum. If it will help matters any, please consider your risk to be similar or perhaps even less than the guy who went in the ocean and was concerned someone previously had peed in it. OK? Stories "far more ludicrous" than yours are actually quite rare. Try not to be scared. I don't even feel HIV testing is warranted in your case.

Do send us a Foofie-WOO-HOO when you get your results, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Shingles and Negative?
Next
Recomendations for Safety

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.