Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My name is Jon... and I'm a Bobaholic
Dec 19, 2003

Dear Bob

I have been on and off this site for 18 MONTHS. I HAVE READ EVERYTHING ON THE SITE I have 7 days remaining and I will donate via credit card to your foundation. Please Please help me out with this last mail. I promise I will never mail you again

I will briefly outline the situation and then put bullet points to help you see me clearly.

Situation

dubious Hooker. Inserted vaginal coated finger in rectum. 3 weeks later mild persistant sore throat, extreme anxiety for 18 months. Recent heart stabbing pains. Scared could be perycarditis due to HIV

Question 2

I have booked a flight out of the country for an anonynous test with a registered charity. They say they have a) quick test: Enzyme immunoassay (EIA), Immuno chromotography and Immuno concentration technique.

b) Normal test: ELISA and Serodia HIV (PA)

Both tests are screening test.

Do I go for a) or b) or both?

This has crippled me mentally for 18 month and I feel I need closure.. That is why I have two weeks off of work. Something tells me I may bottle out of it when I get there but I need strength. I have resigned myself to the worst and I know that it's not the end of the world (believe me) but it would be just so great to know that someone else could advise me.

I will pray you can get the time to answer.

Thanks in advanve Jon

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Jon,

Welcome to the program!

Not exactly sure whose finger went up whose butt here, but since your name is Jon, I'd assume the other person belonged to the vagina and that maybe her vaginal secretions were on your (or her) fingers, which subsequently found there way into your rectum. Assuming this scenario is correct, you can relax. HIV is not transmitted this way. HIV does not survive very long outside the body, so your risk is essentially nonexistent.

Your stabbing pains are not due to HIV pericarditis. Stop trying to diagnose your own symptoms. You haven't been to medical school yet have you?

Sure, get HIV tested if you're worried. Booking a flight out of the country seems a bit extreme, but if that's the way you want to spend your vacation, that's up to you. As for which test, they are both fine. You can choose either one. There is no need to do both.

I'm not sure what "bottle out of it when I get there" really means, but if it involves Jack, Jim, or Johnny (Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, or Johnny Walker), be careful not to overdue it and get so blasted you don't go for your test. I'd recommend saving the celebration for when you get your negative results. Then, with a nice flute of champagne in hand start yelling "WOO-HOO".

All of us here at Bobaholics anonymous wish you good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
QUEER EYE for the HIV GUY
Next
can a flu, common cold, sore throat mislead hiv test?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.