QUEER EYE for the HIV GUY

Hey BOB,

Please don't be offended by the title I thought it was catchy and know youare a sucker for the catchy titles,

My question is this bob, when do your tonsils generally start to swell after you have been infected, do they stay swollen for long periods of time after infection??? Or do they generally stay swollen when people have AIDS, I am very scared they have been swollen for months and I have had a off and on sore throat, and bad nasal drippage. Please answer.

BOB please know I don't mean to offend you

I think you and steve are great, and you two do wonderful things for people.

Sincerely

JJ

PS How was PARIS (glad you got away you need a break from all the e mails!!???

Hey there JJ,

Why would I be offended? I do like catchy titles. And as for being a "sucker," well . . . . we better move on to your question before we both get in trouble here.

Tonsils are lymph nodes and behave like other lymph nodes in the body when someone has HIV. That is, they can swell up as part of the body's immune defense mechanism for trying to fight off the virus. Timing of this is variable from person to person, but in general, this takes at least two-four weeks to start, and can persist for variable lengths of time. Many immunologic and virologic (virus-related) factors come into play regarding duration and severity of symptoms.

Now what about your swollen tonsils? Since you've had "bad nasal drippage" and a "sore throat off and on," your swollen tonsils are most likely the result of your head cold, sinus problems, allergy problem, or whatever is the cause of your "drippage." You may worry that all the goopy goop coming out of your nose and going down your throat is due to HIV, but in reality, it's "SNOT." (Couldn't resist the pun.)

If you've had a potential HIV exposure, the only way to tell if you've contracted the virus is to get an HIV test in three months.

Paris was "magnifique!" I'm heading back in two weeks.

Blowjob and nosepick
My name is Jon... and I'm a Bobaholic