CDC DOOM, Just More Gloom...PLEASE HELP ME OUT!

Dear Dr. Bob==

I know, another post from me. I'm going nuts. I can't get anyone to talk to me. Local AIDS hotline doesn't answer, messages posted get no reply, and so I called the CDC. Good grief man.....I felt like I was being told to prepare for the worst...."what you did was so high risk you need to get tested immediately". What I "did" was peform unprotected oral sex twice on a male friend of mine that I later found out was HIV positive. Thing is, it was only like five minutes each time, he didn't get hard, he didn't ejaculate, and I didn't even see precum. Afterwords he and I masturbated and he did shoot some on me..but not in me.

I know my risks are low. I've read all the posts. But Dr. Bob....now that I've finally made it to the three month mark and scheduled myself to get tested (tomorrow in fact) I'm desperate for some reassurance that what happened really WAS low risk and things will be ok. The CDC guy scared the crap out of me with his attitude and response. Believe it or not, I have always used condoms even for oral. One little exception with someone I trusted....never again. Please Doc...HELP! I know you're not a shrink...but I would sure appreciate your input.

THANK YOU!

J

Hello J,

Consider yourself reassured! Several recent well-conducted studies have all suggested that the risk of HIV transmission from oral sex is indeed low. In fact, it's even lower than previously thought! That doesn't mean it's risk-free, as there are some STD's that are quite easily transmitted by oral sex. HIV just isn't one of them! A theoretical risk for HIV transmission via oral sex remains, particularly due to extenuating circumstances. Your particular situation however, remains low-risk in my opinion.

We'll all send you our best luck for your test tomorrow. And we hope you'll be writing back very soon with a mega WOO-HOO!

i AM A AMAZED
Pets