Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can this gohorrhea scenario be possible?
Dec 7, 2003

I have been with my current partner since 8/31 and that is the day we first started having sex. In the relationship I'd say I was 85 top and him 15 bottom, and 50/50 oral. From the very beginning I topped and ejaculated into him unprotected, whereas he wore a condom for the first week or so when topping me, then we both went unprotected entirely. I probably ejaculated inside him 25 times and he only about 3 times inside me. With oral, we both swallowed frequently. We both believed and maintained from the beginning that we were clean of all STDs. Around Nov. 2 he started having symptoms. We got tested Nov. 7 and got results Nov. 14. He tested positive only for gonorrhea (crotch area) and I came back negative on everything. He says he didnt have sex with anyone else, and that he must've caught it from a single encounter of receiving oral about a month before we met. Although he had various windows with which to have sex with others--especially Oct. 20 thru Nov. 3--a period when we were on "rough edges" from having spent so much time together on the beginning. I want to believe him, but feel that if it were true, then it would be a million to one chance. We exchanged fluids frequently and in many different ways. QUESTIONS: If he had gonorrhea all along, wouldn't I have gotten it considering we had lots of sex of all different sorts? AND could he have it that long without any symptoms? AND is it possible hes telling the truth? Please don't spare my feelings, I WANT THE TRUTH. AND if it is "theoretically possible" please tell me how likely. I MUST KNOW THE TRUTH. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

If you "MUST KNOW THE TRUTH," you'll have to get it from your boyfriend. All I can do is advise you of what might have transpired.

Could your boyfriend have had gonorrhea for a long period of time and not have symptoms? Yes. The usual incubation period for urethritis (penis) symptoms is 2-7 days; however, longer intervals can occur and some men never develop symptoms. Symptoms usually include a pussy penile discharge ("the drip") and pain when urinating (described as feeling like you are pissing razor blades). There is also increased urge to urinate, and often some redness around the head of the penis.

That your boyfriend started having symptoms around November 2 could mean that he was exposed sometime during the previous week. That would include the "rough edges" period.

I think it's time for you and your boyfriend to have another heart-to-heart talk. Also, top or bottom, I would strongly advise the use of latex condoms. Why take a chance when there is a "safe" alternative?

Hope that helps.

Dr. Bob

Previous
I don't have a question. I just need to thank you for all!
Next
Bottoms make great Liars

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.