SUV Sex, HIV and GERD?

Hey Dr. Bob,

Just wanted to say really find your site helpful. Here is my story... To make a long story short, I was at a bar, met a hot, hot woman with an amazing body. We headed for my SUV and had protected vaginal sex. The condom as far as I could see was not broken, torn, ripped, didn't fall off or explode. I was not drunk, but the next day I felt terrible about what I did with a total stranger. Well, I made myself sick thinking the worst... Every pain, every tingle I had was either HIV or an STI. I was up at night, full of worry. I developed a extrememly sore throat and flu like symptoms. I went to my Doctor, he told me, clinically nothing was wrong. After 5 weeks of a chronic sore throat I went to an ENT who said, "You have GERD?" Here is where you come in Dr. Bob... I started reading your forum, and according to you and all the experts, If I had one time vaginal sex with a condom that did not fail, testing is not warranted. I sure hope your right because the last 6 weeks have been hell for me... My sore throat was GERD and my mind was making me feel like I caught HIV from this experience. I hope your right... I hope I should not waste my time getting tested... What to you think???

The only one who can decide whether you should get tested or not is you. All we can do is give you advice about potential HIV transmission risk. First off, HIV cannot pass through a properly used latex condom. Second, HIV-related symptoms do not appear within days after an exposure, but rather weeks. Third, GERD is not a symptom related to HIV ARS.

So should you test? The decision is yours. There is no right or wrong answer, and your decision may be different from what I might suggest. For instance, I would never have bought an SUV, but it obviously came in handy for you!

Good luck. Stay well.

can a neg partner take meds to avoid exposure
Happy Thanksgiving