The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I'm a bottom

Dec 4, 2003

I'm a bottom and was infected by my ex. I am now in a very loving relationship with a man that is neg. I know that using a condom is the best practise. Is it any less of a risk if my partner tops me with out a condom since he is neg? Sometimes the urge has struck and we didn't have a condom handy so that ended the night for us. Can we still have intercorse with out putting him at risk?

KY Man

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey KY Man,

Even if you use lots of KY, Mr. KY-Guy, you're still putting your partner at considerable risk if the love glove is not in place. You knew that without my telling you, right?

Anal intercourse carries the highest risk for HIV transmission. As with all types of sex, the receptive partner's risk is greater than the insertive partner's. HIV transmission risk is also decreased if the positive partner's viral load is undetectable. But even being exclusively a top that only partners with a bottom who has an undetectable viral load does not eliminate HIV transmission risk. I'd suggest buying a massive supply of your favorite condoms. Stash them every place where the urge might strike bedroom, bathroom, kitchen table, pool table, pool, car, wine cellar (or if you're into S&M, that would be "whine cellar"), near the trapeze, the flower box outside your ex-boyfriend's living room window . . . and anywhere and everywhere you guys like doing it. And don't forget the water-based lube, KY-Guy!

Dr. Bob

Revoke my medical license?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint