Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Looks Like (Unfortuantely) I'm A Case Study
Dec 3, 2003

Hi Dr. Bob,

Thanks for having this forum. I've written a couple times on what happened (insertive unprotected oral sex (one time) from a prostitute, protected vaginal (3 different gals over a month). I've read where the risks are relatively low, and the CDC AIDS Hotline actually is mad at me when I call saying that there have been cases of oral transmission this way (I've read about some in the U.K. and in San Fran studies). However, the hotline says "no documented cases".

Looks like I am the first for the CDC. I am 110 sure I have the virus and am sure the test result this week will confirm this. At week five I began to have stomach problems and fever. After 10 days still there. It seems like an "opportunistic infection". I mentioned before I had several skin problems. These all occurred within a day or two of each other and were gone in a day(no trunk or face rash though).

The thought crossed my mind about using a condom (I asked she didn't have one and I was already to explode). Afterwards, stunned I had not used one, I bought some for the vaginal sex, though too late now.

Well now I'm a footnote now in some report. So if you see a report that says 36-year old infected by insertive oral - that would be me. And I guess the hotline will then say "there's been a documented case".

Hope this helps someone not make the same mistake.

John

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello John,

Do you know how many folks have written to me "110 percent sure" that they were going to be the first documented case? No? Well, neither do I, because I can't count that high. Do you know how many of them actually turned out to be "the first documented case?" Good guess! Absolutely none!

Your risk is incredibly low (one time insertive oral and three times protected vaginal). Your symptoms are not at all suggestive of ARS. No, your "stomach problems" are not an "opportunistic infection."

Are you a betting man, John? Care to place a little wager on your test results next week? Write back with your results. I promise not to say, "I told you so!" I've also already saved you a spot in our X-Files (Ex-Worried Wells). You'll meet lots of other "footnotes" there.

Frevinsake John will you just relax and wait for your results before taking a quantum leap to such an improbable conclusion???

Dr. Bob

Previous
a complicated question, that ONLY DR. BOB CAN RESPOND! :-)
Next
Revoke my medical license?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.