a complicated question, that ONLY DR. BOB CAN RESPOND! :-)

Dr. Bob,

After a high risk occupational exposure, I just recieved a negative result at three months with the following methods:

HIV-1 AB W/CONFIRM, NY (WHAT DOES THIS MEAN)? is this some special test and should i be concerned it was run?

HIV-1 AB, EIA (WHAT DOES THIS MEAN)?

and

HIV-2 AB....

THE RESULTS OF ALL THREE ARE NONREACTIVE,

BUT ON THE LAB SHEET IT SAYS, a non-reactive test result does not exclude the possibility of hiv-1 infection. If clinicallly indicated retest at three months?

now I am wondering if abnormals or low values on the following might have affected my results?

low eosinophils, absolute in the range stated of 8, carbon dioxide in the range of 17, and phosporous in the range 1.7.

i have also during the test been taking mega doses of vitamins as co-enzyme q10, l-cartinine, selenium, vit e, vit c, beta caratin?

Could any of these factors have produced a false negative? And since i have been diagnosed earlier with allergic rhitinis, being a problem of the immune system, does this warrant a pcr test or can i breath and relax?

Please i need confirmation! You are the specialist, I am just the ignorant idiot!

And Bob i heard the rumor your organization now accepts credit card donations, is this true?

I have the greatest doc with the exception of you, Dr. Bob, and Dr. Steve but i was wondering if i should pcr done on my next visit to just give me a peace of mind. The problem is my doc isnt an id specialist and doesnt order this test that often, do you think they could give me the test if i beg? Thank you. And god bless!

Patrick

Hello Patrick,

Your question is not at all complicated and similar questions are already posted in the archives, so I'll be brief.

If you've had an "occupational exposure," you should be following standardized guidelines for evaluation and follow-up. This would include evaluation for HIV and hepatitis.

Your tests are routine HIV antibody tests for HIV-1 and HIV-2. "EIA" stands for enzyme immuno-assay. "Confirm" indicates that if the screening antibody tests were positive, then a confirmatory test (such as a Western Blot) would be run on the same blood sample.

Your results are unequivocally negative (non-reactive).

The qualifying statement on the lab sheet is standard. It's necessary, because the antibody test may not be accurate during the window period (three months).

Your other laboratory values (eosinophils, carbon dioxide, phosphorus, etc.) will not affect the accuracy of your HIV test.

Taking mega doses of vitamins will not affect your HIV tests.

Allergic rhinitis will not affect you HIV tests, and is not a reason to have a PCR.

No additional testing, in particular PCR testing, is necessary or warranted.

Now following all those "no" answers, I can finally conclude with a "yes." Yes, the rumor is true. My foundation does indeed accept credit cards. Just click on the "donate" tab on The Foundation's website, www.concertedeffort.org.

Your donation is warmly appreciated. WOO-HOO. You're negative! Stop worrying and go celebrate, frevinsake!

Doctor Bob, Lysol guy says thank you
Looks Like (Unfortuantely) I'm A Case Study