The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Are standard anemia tests accurate?

Dec 2, 2003

My question is about anemia, which I saw you writing about somewhere else.

Are the tests accurate? The reason I ask is that, although my doctor said the tests indicate I am not anemic, I experience fatigue a lot, my mother was anemic, and I was once diagnosed as anemic by an "alternative practitioner" who did the test in her office.

I'm assuming anemia is the same condition as low blood levels of iron.

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Frascino


Tests for anemia are standardized and extremely accurate. "Alternative Practitioners" are unfortunately neither standardized nor often accurate.

Simply put, anemia means you have too few red blood cells, the cells that contain hemoglobin, which is a key protein that takes oxygen form your lungs and carries it to all parts of your body. Oxygen is necessary for energy.

A low blood level of iron is called iron deficiency. Iron deficiency can cause anemia, but the two conditions are medically distinct. Many other things can cause anemia blood loss, chronic disease, HIV, cancer, B12 or folic acid deficiency, etc., etc., etc.

Anemia can cause fatigue as well as a host of other symptoms. Fatigue can also be caused by many conditions other than anemia.

Bottom line: If you're fatigued and concerned about anemia, see a real doctor for a real test. There is nothing "alternative" about this condition.

Dr. Bob

Not So Terrified Over Oral Anymore!!!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint