Real exposure, real question

Dear Dr. Bob, First, thanks for all your time and your sense of humor, your a brave and sweet man. I had oral sex with a man that i discovered later was hiv+ and did not know what to do. My gp knew little about hiv so i set out on my own to try to figure out this whole thing. I had the following tests run and im hoping that you can give me the ok on my status or if i should continue to test. At 2 weeks i had an antibody,neg, at 3 weeks dna pcr, not detected, 5 weeks dna pcr, not detected, 7 weeks dna pcr, not detected, 9 week antibody, neg, 10 week dna pcr and antibody combo, not detected, at 13 weeks antibody neg, and at 14 weeks antibody and RNA pcr <400 copies , neg and not detected. I am really trying to put this behind me but am wondering if the hiv could be hiding in me somewhere and the pcr DNA or RNA is missing it. I guess my question is Could i Have no Antibody and no Detectable virus at 14 weeks and still have hiv. I am guessing the answer is probably not, but I wanted to here it from you. In addition, money was not an issue, and I would not mind making some kind of donation either locally or with you. Thank you for your help. Matthew

Hi Matthew,

Your G.P. knew little about HIV? Rather than searching for how to self diagnose a medical condition, you should be actively searching for a new G.P.!!!

Oral sex, even with an HIV-positive person, carries a low risk for HIV virus transmission. A single HIV antibody test at three months or longer after a possible exposure is considered definitive.

You've had:

1. Antibody tests at two weeks, nine weeks, 13 weeks, and 14 weeks. All negative.

2. HIV DNA PCR at three weeks, five weeks, seven weeks, and 10 weeks. All negative.

3. HIV RNA PCR at 14 weeks. Negative.

Is HIV hiding in you somewhere? No, of course not! With this amount of testing, I'm glad money was not an issue, because you've spent more than the annual health budget of several small African nations already! Stop testing! You're just wasting your blood, time, and money!

Thank you for your willingness to help others. Donation information can be found at The Foundation's website www.concertedeffort.org

Stay well. And remember to find a new G.P. your current one should either retire or go back to medical school!

Thank you-My hero
re: I tested negative: I'm positive