Doctor told me 12 week test is worthless

Dr Bob,

Thank you for your work on the site as it has helped me get through these past twelve weeks. I have written a few times and not had a response, but writing was therapeautic enough.

I'm currently waiting for my 12 week test and kind of nervous. I have test done at 6 and 8 weeks which were negative so I'm hoping for the same. My exposure, was performing oral on a promiscuis woman and protected sex.

My question is My doctor didn't want to give me the test as she said that I should wait to 6 months to get a definitive result, that only about 50-75 of people seroconvert at 3 months. It takes 6 months to get 98 of people to convert. Is she right? I tend to believe you as you are the expert and she's just a family practicioner, but she just threw a wrench into my sanity.

Can I move on if my 12 week test is negative? What about her stats, is she completely off base?

Thank you dr bob, I hope you can answer my question so I don't have to worry for the next three months again.

Take the wrench out of your sanity (still exactly sure about that mixed metaphor) and give it to your family practitioner (the wrench, not your sanity). Advise her she may need it to fill the gaping holes in her knowledge base of HIV/AIDS.

Your risk of HIV transmission from oral sex and "protected sex" is extremely low. Your 12-week test is indeed considered to be definitive. The only thing you'll have to worry about for the next three months is finding a more competent family doctor!

As Paul Anka said tonight
Is infectiong from tampered condom possible? Woo Hoo needed!