Please answer ASAP, About My Infant

Hi Dr. Bob...

You're the best! Please answer as I am in a panic. An HIV-positive woman kissed my 3-month old baby (either on top of head or cheek). Is there any risk of HIV? How about if some of her saliva got on baby (and what is she had blood in mouth from, say, bleeding gums)? My baby had no cuts or open sores.

THANKS a million.

Betty

Hello Betty,

We are now in the third decade of this epidemic, and you are still wondering if HIV can be transmitted by a kiss on the top of the head or the cheek??? OK, so maybe you didn't pay attention in health science (sex education) classes, but haven't you at least read a Time Magazine or daily newspaper in the past 22 years? Betty, today is December 1, 2003: World AIDS Day. Your assignment is to read the newspaper and watch any legitimate news program, paying particular attention to stories relating to HIV/AIDS.

To specifically answer your question: No! An HIV-positive woman giving your baby a kiss cannot transmit HIV. And Betty, before you write back, doorknobs, toilet seats, and mosquitoes also do not transmit the virus, OK?

thanks
suture needle stick