Gay-bashing and open wounds

Dear Dr. Bob. Greetings, best wishes,and hope this doesn't take too much of your time. I am a mature college student, recently started, after a long time working my way towards it. Last week, I came across a "gay-bashing" (is that phrase still used?)near my dorm. 3 guys were beating up a gay student. I don't know him well,but know enough that he is a decent guy and he was very nice and welcoming to me in my first week at college.I was sure he had done nothing to offend them other than be gay which I figure is his business at the end of the day, even if I personally don't agree with his choice! . So, drunk and indignant, I intervened. I am glad to say my efforts drove them away, but I got a kicking in the process too, and fell on top of the gay guy at one point. He was bleeding in several places, and I had a deep open gash above my eye and my elbows were scraped. Later in the week he told me he is HIV positive. After reading your site extensively, I am worried and not worried at the same time- it is impossible for me to assess risk of exposure and the thought of a test is stressing me out. I guess I am writing to ask you if I should have one. Many thanks in advance.

PS How may I donate to your charity by credit card from outside the US?

Yes, "gay-bashing" is a term that is still used and a hate crime that occurs far too often! Thanks for intervening. Your risk of acquiring HIV from this heroic episode is extremely low essentially negligible. You would have to have had his open wound bleed directly into your open wound. Testing, in my opinion, is not necessary, but if you decide to get one, wait for at least three months after the episode to assure a definitive result.

Also, concerning your comment about not agreeing with your friend's "choice" to be gay. Do you really believe gay or straight is a "choice." Do you remember signing up or "choosing" to be straight?

Finally, donations via credit card can be made on line by visiting The Foundation's website, www.concertedeffort.org. Thank you once again for your willingness to help fellow humans in need. That indeed is a "choice" and one that I commend highly.

Stay well.

Really Safe Sex
Negativo baby! - Would bob agree?