Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Thank you Dr. Bob. My donation is on its way.
Nov 28, 2003

Dr. Bob,

I just want to thank you for the service you provide to the many worrieds out there. I had unprotected vaginal intercourse with a girl (who claimed she was HIV negative) about 9 weeks ago and about 3 weeks later I visited one of the ever-popular massage parlors for a happy ending massage. Unfortunately, about 3 weeks after the massage parlor visit I developed a fever, swollen lymph nodes in my groin area, and lesions on my penis. I immediately went to the doctor and had the entire slew of STD tests run, including an HIV antibody. Everything was negative except for the herpes test came which back positive for IgM. The doc was convinced that herpes was my only problem, but needless to say I wasnt (the herpes culture came back negative and I knew that I could have contracted HIV along with HSV). I was really drunk during these sexual encounters and I couldnt remember if the sex worker at the massage parlor gave me oral along with stroking Mr. Happy (and also I came to the conclusion that she MUST have been HIV positive).

I was prescribed Valtrex for 10 days and after I got off of it I developed additional symptoms that seemed to mirror HIV ARS. I really started to freak out. I started researching my symptoms on the Internet. Big mistake. I thought I had swollen lymph nodes in my neck, under my left arm, behind my left knee. I developed a sore throat and had difficulty swallowing. I had night sweats and headaches.

At 6 weeks I had another antibody test that came back negative. I felt a little better but my symptoms persisted. Then at 8 weeks I got a DNA PCR test that came back undetectable (the testing center claims this is conclusive after 4 weeks by the way). I know according to the experts on this site that the 12 week ELISA is the one thats conclusive, but the DNA PCR has made me feel a lot better.

Your comments and advice on this site helped me out a lot. I have been trying to focus on my risk and not my symptoms and Ill be going in for my 12 week test soon. This experience has changed me completely and I have a lot of compassion for those that have to live with this terrible illness. I'm also going to practice nothing but safe sex in the future if I make it through this OK. Ill be sending 100 to your foundation and I really want to thank your for the time you take to respond to the people on this site.

Ill let you know if I can WOO-HOO soon.

Another Worried Well (Hopefully)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Another Worried Well (Hopefully),

Thank you for taking the time to write in and share your story. If you read through the archives, you'll find many similar stories with truly "happy endings" (not the sticky fingers kind). Your results so far are extremely encouraging. I'll be expecting that WOO-HOO very soon, OK?

We'll save you a place in our X-Files (X-Worried Well). Thank you also for you very kind donation.

Dr. Bob

Previous
My girlfriend is allergic to latex, so we can't use a condom. What other protection is there?
Next
Help! Needlestick....Need answer.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.