Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

fearful in BIG D
Nov 27, 2003

Dr. Bob,

I had a POSSIBLE HIV exposure roughly 30 days ago. I went to get tested at the 25 day mark, the test was negative. The girl I was with provided me with a copy of her lab work which was also non-reactive. I am concerned because her lab had a disclaimer below the result, stating that the sample drawn was negative but doesn't preclude previous exposure or infection with HIV1. Is it uncommon for labs to place waivers or disclaimers on lab work? It also had a waiver regarding her HSV test. The last month I have been fatigued, a flu, and now swollen lymph nodes in my armpits. I am very concerned about getting retested, and is it possible for someone HIV+ to have a lab which is non-reactive? Thanks for you help.

Mike

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Mike,

Yes, the disclaimers and waivers are standard.

Is it possible for someone to be HIV+ and have a nonreactive test? Yes, it is. That's why they have the disclaimer statement.

Here's how it works. When someone contracts HIV disease, it takes the body a while to react and produce anti-HIV antibodies. Many HIV tests depend on these antibodies. That's why we tell folks to wait at least three months before getting their HIV antibody test to assure their results are accurate and definitive. The period between getting infected and producing anti-HIV antibodies (and consequently a positive HIV test) is called the "window period." Hope that clarifies things for you, Mike.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Infection From condom
Next
Engaged, and thinking of calling it off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.