Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Infection From condom
Nov 27, 2003

Dear Dr. Bob,

Hello, I have been wanting to ask this for a long time and need an answer from someone like you. This will seem very bizarre, but this is no joke. Almost two years ago, I was walking home from school and found a sealed condom on the sidewalk. I took it home, and maybe about 5 hours or so later, masturbated with the condom on out of curiosity. After that, and since then, I have not gone 5 minutes with out worrying I will infect my family somehow, or my friends, or if it is even possible for me to get the virus this way. The scenario in my mind is, someone infected the condom, sealed it, then set it out. As far out as this seems, I must know if it is even a possibility for me to have the disease this way.

This thought has been buzzing around my head and is destroying my social life. I can't scratch my head without thinking I'll pass on the disease. I would have gotten tested, but I am pretty young and wouldn't want my parents to know I took a test. Thank you so much for helping me.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Just how young are you? I think the first time I "played" with a condom was when I was 13.

So you "can't scratch your head without thinking you'll pass on the disease?" Which "head" are you scratching and what disease are you worried about passing on? You "have not gone five minutes without worrying you will infect your family and friends" in the past two years? That's a whole lot of unnecessary and unwarranted worry.

OK my young friend, listen up. No, you cannot contract HIV from playing with the sealed condom you found on the sidewalk. No, no one infected the condom, sealed it, and set it out for you to find. No, this is not even a possibility. Gosh, have you ever even tried re-rolling one of those things and getting it back into the foil packet? Lastly, no, you cannot infect your family or friends with HIV, because you don't have HIV. HIV testing is not warranted or necessary. Two years of worry is two years too long for this impossible situation. OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
HEY BOB I LOVE THE NEW PICTURE IT'S ABOUT TIME
Next
fearful in BIG D

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.