Waht To Do Now???

Dr. Rob,

I am a 25 Year Old Texas Boy. This forum has helped me learn so much about HIV and other STDs. I had some risky situations back in June 2003. I tested at 1, 2, 3, and 4 months - ALL Negative. Well, a few days after the 4 month test I had protected vaginal and protected oral sex performed on me by an escort. I immediately started freaking out. It has been a little over a week and I had a bad sore throat (cold or flu like) and slight fever at times. I called the CDC and all they suggested was get tested between 3 and 6 months after the event. I can't live thinking I have to get tested everytime after I have sex. What do you suggest. Thanks again for getting me through my first time. I have learned that I just protect myself everytime, but I can't keep thinking I get something everytime.

Chris in TX

Hi Chris in TX,

"Protected vaginal and protected oral sex" is not a reason to be tested. "Protected" means just that "protected!" If you used a latex condom properly and it did not fail (break), then you should have no concern about HIV transmission. I'm not sure why the CDC suggested testing. Let's hope they perhaps just misunderstood the question and thought you said, "unprotected" vaginal sex. In that case, a three-month test would be warranted. Chances are that, if you called the CDC back again with the same question, you'd get a more reasonable answer. You've learned to "protect yourself every time," -- stay safe and you'll stay well. It really is that simple! Spread the word!

Please Post - Condoms Work!!
Wine preventative during oral sex?