Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

So many tests? Is what I took Woo-hoo-able?

Nov 12, 2003

Hello Doctor Bob,

I have tried many times to email you and I figured out why you haven't responded...that's because you probably think I'm a dumbass for telling you my story of unprotected oral and protected vaginal and the basically non-risk involved in that. After telling you I tested negative at 9 weeks and also at 13 weeks past exposure, you probably feel I'm just going crazy. I know I do.

In any case, not to waste your time longer, I guess I can rephrase my question and ask you:

I was looking at Quest Diagnostics where I took the 2 tests the doctor placed. I am wondering if that test is definitive after 3 months as you claim. People are always saying, "to get tested." Well what is THAT exact test and is the one I took sufficient?

According to my paperwork, I took: HIV-1 AB SCREEN W/REFL - (6449)

They were both negative after 9 and 13 weeks. Can I Woo-hoo or should I take another exam? Why so many exams even for HIV-1?

This is so confusing. I feel like I still have symptoms after 6 months that include slightly swollen submandibular glands (no pain), excess phlegm, tingling and on/off groin pain (although no swollen glands). Are these symptoms of ARS?

Below is a list of the tests Quest offers: IV 1 HIV 2 AB, EIA, POSITIVES REFLEXED TO HIV-1 WB - (37694) HIV 1 HIV 2 AB, EIA, WITH REFLEXES - (10260) HIV 1 RNA QN PCR ULTRA V1.5 - (34220) HIV 1 RNA QN PCR V1.5 - (34205) HIV 1 RNA QUALITATIVE PCR - (37815) HIV 1 RNA, QN PCR, UPPER EXPANDED RANGE V1.5 - (39453) HIV 1 RNA, QUANT PCR WITH REFLEX TO HIV 1 VIRTUALPHENOTYPE - (10435) HIV 1 RNA, QUANTITATIVE PCR, EXPANDED RANGE - (14484) HIV 1 VIRTUALPHENOTYPE (TM) FOR DRUG RESISTANCE TO PRI AND RTI - (10469) HIV-1 AB CONFIRMATION BY WESTERN BLOT - (5233) HIV-1 AB SCREEN W/REFL - (6449) HIV-1 ANTIGEN (P24), QUALITATIVE - (36439) HIV-1 DIRECT AG (ICD), ELISA - (36444) HIV-1 DNA, QUALITATIVE PCR - (8401) HIV-1 GENOTYPE - (34949) HIV-1 GENOTYPE WITH GRAPHICAL REPORT - (11189) HIV-1 GP41 ENVELOPE GENOTYPE - (11367) HIV-1 RNA QN BDNA (V3.0) - (29273) HIV-1 RNA QUANTITATIVE PCR, 1ST GENERATION,W/REFLEX TO GENOTYPE - (34471) HIV-1 WESTERN BLOT W/REFLEX TO HIV-2 REFLEX - (37708) HIV-2 ANTIBODY, EIA, WITH POSITIVES REFLEXED TO WESTERN BLOT - (37363) HIV-2 ANTIBODY, WESTERN BLOT - (34313) HIV-2 PROVIRAL DNA, QUALITATIVE, PCR - (34977)

Please help me on this and I will not bother you again.

Bless you for all the good you do.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I would never call you a dumbass! I have no idea of your ass's I.Q. For all I know, yours could just as well be a smartass. I've been called that before.

OK, what you had was an antibody ("AB") test for HIV-1. The "W/REFL" most likely refers to automatically performing a Western Blot confirmatory test on any antibody test that turns up positive. This is routine testing procedure.

So is a negative HIV-1 AB SCREEN W/ REFL at nine and 13 weeks following a "basically non-risk" exposure (unprotected oral and protected vaginal) considered WOO-HOO-ABLE? (You just turned WOO-HOO into an adjective very clever . . . ) Yes, it's very definitely WOO-HOO-ABLE and YABBA-DABBA-DOABLE, too!

Are your symptoms ARS? No, absolutely not! Don't be a dumbass! (oops). We just decided you were HIV-negative, remember?

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
beloved bob, thank you for telling me the secret of secret
Next
Dr. Bob, Please help a Highway Patrolman

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.