Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Would you not recommend unprotected sex with Girlfriend!!!
Nov 10, 2003

Dr.Bob,

I have tried several times, but I haven't got back a reply. I can only imagine how many emails you get, but please reply back to me.

My risk was receiving a blowjob from a sex trade worker 7 weeks ago (tested negative at 4 weeks ELISA). I don't remember seeing any blood or anything and it was only for 5 minutes. I didn't also clean myself until 15 hours after the event, is that a problem? Is a another test at 13 weeks required, and can I have sex with my girlfriend (unprotected) after the 13 week test comes back negative (Thinking positively here, Dr. BOB)? I really don't want to tell my girlfriend about this incidence and I WILL NEVER do this again because I love her and plan on getting married next year. Please leave address for donation.

PS: You are doing an amazing job and GOD bless you!!!

Sincerely,

Worried in St.Maarten

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Worried in St. Martin,

I love that island. Are you on the Dutch or French side?

Oral sex, as you probably know from reading this forum, carries a very, very low risk of HIV transmission. I consider HIV ELISA testing to be definitive 3 months or longer after a possible exposure.

Can you have unprotected sex with your girlfriend? Well, that's totally up to you. If you test HIV-negative at 13 weeks past any possible exposure, you are HIV-negative, and consequently would not be able to pass HIV on to her. However, unprotected sex does place both partners at risk for STD's. If you had an unanticipated walk on the wild side, giving a hungry hooker a high protein nosh, how do you know for sure your girlfriend might not have also met someone for a pleasure rendezvous? Many STDs are much easier to contract than HIV. We must all realize that unprotected sex carries a potential risk.

For donation information, just click onto my foundation's website, www.concertedeffort.org.

Stay well and thank-you!

Dr. Bob

Previous
My year long hiv scare. Plz post dr. Bob
Next
Bob..keep on truck'n mate

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.