You are the best and funniest

Dr. Bob,

I have read and enjoyed your responses. I must admit some of your responses get me laughing for hours especially the ones that post with bad English and spelling mistakes :-)

My question is that I had unprotected receptive oral sex with a female sex worker, everything else was protected. I am a married man and got worried. I had a negative ELISA at a week after exposure, 40 days after exposure and about 77 days or so as my last test. I just don't have anymore strength in me to go through the testing nightmare escpecially the agonizing anxiety in getting the results. Would the 77 day result be good enough for me to stop worrying and testing?

I would greatly appreciate a response. Also, where can I send donations to?

Thanks a bunch, Mr. worried-a-lot

Hello Mr. Worried A lot,

Oral sex carries an extremely low risk of HIV transmission. However, I should note that other STD's are much more readily contracted. Your 2 negative ELISA tests out to 77 days are extremely encouraging. Is it enough for you to stop worrying? Yes. Is it enough for you to stop testing? Well, the current recommendations are for testing at 3 months or more for a test to be considered definitive. So only you can decide whether or not to retest. In general, I recommend just a single test at 3 months, rather than going through the expense, inconvenience, and worry associated with earlier testing. Can the virus really tell the difference between 77 days and 84 days (3 months)? No, I would very strongly doubt that. But if I were to tell you that 77 days was "definitive" then I would be setting a new standard and without doubt I would get a ton of questions from folks who would ask about their 76th-day test and then 75ers would come next and then, well you can see the problem, right? So the best I can offer for now is to continue to support the 3-month recommendation. (Unofficially wink-wink, I'll mention since your potential risk is so slight, you should stop worrying and further testing not really necessary. But don't breathe a word of this to anyone else OK?)

Donations can be sent to:

The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation 779 Altos Oaks Drive, Suite 200 Los Altos, CA 94024

You can also now donate online at The Foundation's website, www.concertedeffort.org.

Stay well. Stop worrying. Keep smiling. And long live the spell-check button.

Going to give oral sex (a lot)...
BOBBY, BOBBBY, WHERE ARE YOU!!!!!!