Please don't delete this: A MISUNDERSTANDING!
Nov 6, 2003
hello. PLEASE READ IT FIRST-DON'T DELETE IT! :( Sorry for my post but please can you answer me? YOU are the expert and I really want the truth to this question: I performed oral sex with no ejac to someone and I'm negative 2 months and 4 months later (with 4th generation test) A doctor from a private clinic said to me that if I'm negative after 2 months then *probably* I'm not infected BUT she said that hiv may be hidden in lymph system (and nodes) and I should retest 6 months later to be sure.
I have panicked though I'm negative after 4 months simply because I feel in my right side of the neck a little bit swollen node like pee size ONLY when I touch it and I don't have it in the other side. And I'm anxious because she told me that maybe it's hidden in the node. Please can you tell me if it's true? Later I went to the national hiv center of greece and they told me that I'm negative because the window period of the 4th gen test is 10 weeks.
1)Do you think I should be worried? If the doc is right and the node stop to be swollen after months , will then I test positive? 2)And last but not least: Is that correct that the window period is in fact 6-10 weeks? (because they claim it is in greece/boston/prague -they're using the same test)
I really don't know what and who to believe in my country.. I ONLY TRUST YOUR OPINION. thank you.
Response from Dr. Frascino
No need to apologize just for asking a question! I'm here to help!
1. Do I think you should be worried? No. Oral sex carries an extremely low risk for HIV transmission. A negative HIV test at 4 months is definitive. Your symptoms are not at all suggestive of HIV or ARS. A single pea (not "pee?") sized node on one side of your neck is not indicative of HIV infection. 2. There is no absolute cutoff for the window period. It's a range in which the vast majority of folks who have contracted HIV will develop detectable anti-HIV antibodies, and therefore have a positive HIV test. I recommend waiting at least 3 months for a definitive response.
Hope that helps calm your fears! Stay well.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Testicular Pain After Receptive Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- How Long Do You Have To Wait Until You Can Get Tested For An Std?
- Can Anxiety Cause Hiv Symptoms?
- Can You Get Hiv Going To Strip Club?
- Do Herpes Sores Always Occur In The Same Spots?
- HIV Through Fingering A Vagina
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.