Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

symptoms not consistent
Nov 5, 2003

Doc Thanks for your service here, you have been very helpful and at times, mind easying. I have read most of the posts here and have noticed that you say "Your symptoms are not consistent with HIV and or ARS" Can you explain what would be consistant with ARS and its timeline. I gave a man a handjob 3 weeks ago, he came in my hand. Later that night I noticed a small cut on a finger. Man did I freak and I'm still freaking. Within a few days I started getting this feeling on both sides my neck and lower Jaw below and infront of both ears, like it was swollen. Saw my PCP thinking my lymph nodes were swelling. He said he couldnt feel anything. Then a week later I started getting headaches, indigestion, abdominal pains and cramps. I get some aches or sharp pains in my legs and arms that come and go. I seem to get nausiated when I dont eat. Have been checking my temp, but it has stayed normal. Last night my throat started to get sore, today its mild and maybe a bit red. I plan on getting tested at 6 weeks (peice of mind)and then again at 12. Is any of what I have discribe Consistent with ARS or am I just like so many others that are convenced they are HIV + till their test results come back Neg?

Thanks again

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Consistent with ARS or just like so many others convinced they are HIV+ until their tests come back neg.? You would definitely be the latter. Join the crowd!

Clinical studies have shown that symptoms occur in 50-90 percent of folks who contract HIV. However, the constellation of symptoms and severity of symptoms varies greatly from person to person. The types of symptoms associated with ARS are very general and can be associated with many, many other illnesses. In fact, even with medical consultation, the frequency of confirming a suspected HIV diagnosis is only 25 percent! In other words, do not rely on symptoms. HIV testing is the only way to diagnose this condition. The most common symptoms of acute seroconversion include fever (96%), swollen glands (74%), sore throat (70%), rash (70%), muscle aches (54%), headaches (32%), diarrhea (32%), nausea/vomiting (27%), enlarged liver/spleen (14%), and neurological symptoms (12%).

Your HIV risk is nearly nonexistent and your symptoms are . . . . can you guess what I'm going to say? Yep! That's right,----- not consistent with HIV and/or ARS.

Don't bother with the 6-week test. Get your 12-week test. It will be negative. Then yell WOO-HOO, and write to tell me the great news. I'll then happily move you from the Worried Well Club to the X-File (X-Worried Well Club), and you'll officially be one of those "so many others who were convinced they were HIV-positive until their tests came back negative!"

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
How effective are condoms with protected anal sex?
Next
I have all the symptoms Will PCR WORK!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.