The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

G.I. Just back from Iraq and I'm begging you to answer

Nov 2, 2003

Hey Dr. Bob About a month before I left for Iraq I had a protected vaginal intercourse with a Sweedish girl, however the condomn slipped off. I dont know how long I was inside her, but i remember realizing something didnt feel right and I pulled out. About a week later I got sick, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat, etc. etc. I got it checked out by a doctor and I was diagnosed with mono, however Its been 7 months now and one of my lymph nodes is still a bit swollen, could this be HIV related. PLEASE HELP oh and by the way I love the website

Response from Dr. Frascino


Welcome back from Iraq!

The only way to diagnose HIV infection is to get an HIV test. I do not feel that a single enlarged lymph node is at all worrisome or indicative of HIV disease. However, since you did have some degree of unprotected sex, there is some degree of risk for possible STD's, including HIV. Statistically, your risk is very small, but the only way to know for certain is to roll up your sleeve and take the test. You knew I would say that, didn't you?

I'm glad you're enjoying the website. Now roll up your sleeve, get tested, get your negative results, and then write me back with a raging WOO-HOO. It's a much better feeling than nagging worry!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Huge Change in Lifestyle
Condoms don't stop AIDS--lies...

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint