Please post more Woohoos

Hi Dear Dr. Bob,

I read your forum every day. When I log onto the Body I go right to your name because you are the best. You are funny and smart and have helped many people get through tough times. I have soem questions for you:

For a man like me who lived his life safely (no smoking, drinks in moderation, exercise, eat my veggies, etc.) who has one "Neroesque" night with a lady and does her without a rubber, do I have the same risk as someone who meets a guy at a club and does him anally? Mind you, this was the only time I have unprtected sex and then of course I am infected. have you seen or read cases where this illness could have been somethign other than you-know-what? I mean, toilet seat exposure and masturbatory exposures aside! I am wondering this because I got ARS some days after the fling and it scared me. Pretty sure it is HIV. Why? Cause I am a person who spent many years at college amongst sick people and NEVER got ill. Then booya. I have my naked willy in a vagina and then batabing I'm sick as a dog.

WOuldnt you have suspected HIV if I went to you for treatment during my illness (fever, myalgia, arythgia, fever) Dr. Bob? I wonder why I read you say to others like me "the odds are in your favor for not contracting..." Then why was the odds in favor for me being nauseaous and feverish after Mr. Happy was submerged? Well, Dr Bob, I went to the doc (and charged the visit on my credit card seeing how I dont have health insurance anymore), he said a test is not even warranted! I begged for PCR and he out right refused! BUT I am going to wait nine months to make it definite and then write you...Thank you and please if you get anymore woohoo s in your mailbox post one it will help me greatly.

Thanks, enjoy the new season of Sex in the City, have a cup of Java at Starbucks for me...

Yours,

Denny

Hey Danny,

Booya? What a great word! Oh, and it's not "batabing," but rather Badda-bing. And that's not from Sex in the City, it's from The Sopranos (the name of the topless bar!).

So would I have suspected HIV if you came to me for symptoms of fever, myalgias, and arthralgias? It certainly would not have been on the top of my list of potential or probable causes. In fact, it probably would not have even made the top 10! Fever, myalgias, and arthralgias are symptoms associated with a very wide variety of illnesses, the most common being the common cold or flu. Why would I jump directly to HIV? Just because you didn't get common colds in college? No, Danny, it just doesn't work like that at all.

Now, on to your question about risk. The risk for HIV transmission per episode of unprotected receptive sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV-positive is higher for anal sex (0.1 to 3 percent) than vaginal sex (0.1 to 0.2 percent). The risk for the insertive partner is less than for the receptive partner.

Have I ever "seen or read cases where this illness could have been something other than you-know-what?" Danny, are you sure you've been "reading my forum every day?" If so, you would have noted I've posted at least a gazillion stories exactly like yours submerged Mr. Happy followed by all sorts of symptoms possibly suggestive of ARS followed by intense panic. BOOYA BADDA-BING!!! And then when that test comes back, it's WOO-HOO-YABBA-DABBA-DO Time! Please go back and reread the entire archives and this time pay attention to what you are reading!

So your risk is one time unprotected "neroesque" nookie. That places you at some degree of risk for STD's, including HIV. A 3-month ELISA test would give you a definitive result for HIV and yes, the odds (as indicated above) are very much in your favor for not having contracted the virus. The PCR test should not be used for HIV screening due to sensitivity/specificity issues. The ELISA or similar antibody test is what you need.

OK Denny, turn off the Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte, and Samantha re-runs, and get back to re-reading the archives! I'll be waiting for your WOO-HOO!

Thank you Dr. Bob!
How often should I test?