Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Your Response will save me from dying
Oct 17, 2003

In March of last year (2002)and oral sex was performed on me by an unknown female. I tested negative after 4 months. My doctor said that I do not have hiv. I seem to experience some hiv symtoms: pain on hands, feet tingling teething hurting. Should I retest. I need your advice. I know you have discssed this in other questions. This is my 4th letter. Please reply. I would like to make a donation to your organization. Let me know where to send it. My behavior is shamful. I am well educatd and married. I am form Africa and have lived here for 25 years. Please assure me that I do not have hiv. I cannot seen to let go. Your advice will save me and my marriage.

Stay well. I hope to hear from you.

Devastated man

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Devastated Man,

Oral sex carries an extremely low risk for HIV transmission. An ELISA test 3 months or more after a possible exposure is considered definitive. Your doctor said you do not have HIV. Now, you have a second opinion as well. I agree with your doctor. You do not have HIV! Your symptoms are not even consistent with HIV! So to sum up, you had a very minimal risk, symptoms not consistent with HIV, and a negative definitive HIV test at 4 months. Should you retest? No, I see no reason whatsoever. If you can't "let go" of your irrational fears, you should ask your doctor for a referral to a counselor to help you cope with these unwarranted fears. Your "devastation" is not viral, but rather induced by anxiety. Get the help you need. Once you put these fears behind you (where they belong), I'm quite convinced you'll feel dramatically better!

Dr. Bob

Previous
CARIBBEAN GUY " WOO HOOOOING
Next
A stripper story With a twist like never before.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.