Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Woo-Hoo or Woodoo?
Oct 16, 2003

Dear Doc,

first of all, congrats for your service. I admire not only the time u spend on answering all possible questions, but also the sense of humor u sometimes put on asnwers, helping to relieve many anxious and too scared people.

I am writing u in order to know if I can finally Woo-Hoo, or if I rather am a Woodoo unlucky one. Some years ago (approx. 4) I started feeling weird symptoms. Before them I never had risk of Hiv infection as the common sense suggests, but once in a disco I had ppl around me that looked like drug users and I felt like a soft needle-stick in my elbow (more like a scretch feeling, but I found no blood outside when I could check it well at home later that night). After that I started feeling kinda bad. I experienced EC, meningitis-like headaches, boneaches and mild fever. At that time I decided to go to an infectious center and tested pos for mono (I am not aware of all the blood tests they did on me). Though I didn't know how I could have possibly catch it, I felt better (I thought somehow I could have got HIV).

But symptoms didn't go away. Therefore I made all possible tests on me 1 year and 1/2 later, including Hiv 1-2 and they all came out negative, besides mono, which was recognized as non active anymore. I felt once more better again, but the point is that after 4 years I still have all those symptoms. Do you think I can rule out HIV once for all? Somehow I think I could be that 1:1'000'000 who seroconverts late or who experienced a wrong lab test. What's your thought on this? Can extreme anxiety and nervousness provoke all these symptoms? Thanks for all the help, Doc.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your tests are absolutely conclusive. You are HIV-negative.

No, you are not the one in a million (or more) who might seroconvert late. Your risk was essentially nonexistent. So, no risk plus negative tests out to 1.5 years add up to only one possible outcome. You're negative.

WOO-HOO? Yes, by all means. The rest is all just DO-DO.

Can anxiety cause your symptoms? Yes, consider getting some counseling. Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
canIwhohoo
Next
Hilarious! You have comedic talent Bob

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.