Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

canIwhohoo
Oct 16, 2003

Dear Doc, I have been reading your answers for almost a week, since I have had my first HIV test done. I don't know the result yet. My point is, how would you know if your partner is infected unless s/he discloses him/herself. Who can keep using condoms forever? I have been reading on every single site that people say it is not necessary to disclose. This is unethical. I have slept with a girl, and she said that she was HIV (-), yet she broke up with me the next day, and I am anxious. What if she was an HIV (+)? I know you will make your joke again, and say probably she was unhappy with your sex drive, or something else.. I am serious. How would you know if the person you sleep with is HIV (-) or not? Think about that: there is a bunch of people hiding their HIV status from the people they sleep with, who claim that it is OK, and bunch of others who can't sleep for days and months because of the fear of getting infected from those. (This is not an offense, I totally respect those being HIV infected and living their lives. I am probably one of HIV (+)s too) I would have a heart attack if I hadn't read your answers here so far. You widened my horizon.. not just from the HIV/AIDS perspective, the whole life...

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

How would you know if your partner is infected? You don't! If he/she discloses their HIV positive status, then you know, but if they say they are negative, you still don't know for sure.

Who can keep using condoms forever? Well, since I'm positive, I will, for one.

Disclosing or not disclosing is a hot topic. But it seems to me perhaps that's not really what we should be discussing. I feel it's up to each and every person to protect his or her own health. As I've said before, even if someone slapped a lie detector on his Mr. (or Mrs.) Happy, I still wouldn't believe him (or her). We should all know how to protect ourselves from STD's, including HIV. If we choose not to do so, it's a personal decision.

HIV-positive, as well as HIV-negative, folks need to stay protected. HIV-positives need to avoid secondary infection with more aggressive strains of the virus, as well as STD's. They should also, of course, be worried about passing the virus on to their partners. HIV-negative folks should protect their negative status at all costs that's a no-brainer!

Now what about that lady who broke up with you after one night? Well, perhaps it was your "sex drive;" but maybe she was just taking you for a "test drive;" or maybe she wasn't impressed with your "driving skills" or your "driver." Who knows!?! The point is if you had used a condom, you wouldn't be worried, right? So there you have it! That's your answer. Buckle up for safety when you climb into the driver seat each and every time! Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV, Water Bottle and My Desperation.Please Help.
Next
Woo-Hoo or Woodoo?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.